Cyclone Seroja update
You must report all incidents of electric shock and accidents, no matter how minor they are, to Western Power and your employer if it occurs at your place of work. This is a requirement of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991.
An electric shock is an incident that may appear not to require medical or first aid treatment but if you do receive an electric shock we recommend that you have a medical assessment as a precaution.
An emergency can be:
If you see a fallen powerline or pole, always assume that it is live. Do not go near it, touch it or anything that is in contact with it.
Electricity from powerlines can jump or ‘arc’ through the air and travel to earth through your body, resulting in an electric shock. In the event of an electrical accident involving powerlines:
In addition to the fallen powerlines, there may also be damage to support structures and equipment. It may not be easy to see damage to structures, so always keep a safe distance.
To avoid electrical incidents within the home, have a licensed electrician regularly check the condition of your electrical wiring and consumer electrical installations connected to the home.
If an electrical accident occurs in the home:
An electric shock is obvious – you’ll feel a zap or possibly painful force run through you. This is hard to ignore and you generally know that you’ve had an electric shock. You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity – the minor discharge you get when you’ve walked on wool carpet and then touch something metal. If you’re not sure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and report it to us on 13 13 51.
A tingle is a low-level electric shock.Read more
As soon as practicable, call Western Power on 13 13 51 to report the nature of the electric shock or tingle. It is essential that you call us so we can investigate the matter as soon as possible.
It is important that once an electric shock / tingle has been experienced and reported, do not touch or ‘re-test’ the location of the incident again.
Where shocks are received from any metal work such as taps, switchboards or appliances, remain clear of all other metallic equipment at the property until we attend and ensure safety.Read more
Electric shocks and tingles come from places in the property or installation that have electrical wiring or metal components.
If there is faulty wiring in the property or appliances, this can cause electric shocks and tingles.
They most commonly occur in electrical appliances, power points and switches, taps and shower heads.
At least 8m from any impacted network infrastructure
If your vehicle is in contact with a power pole and brings down the powerline it is safest to remain in the vehicle and wait for emergency services to arrive. As a guide:
An emergency evacuation of a vehicle is extremely dangerous. If you need to evacuate your vehicle because of a fire:
If you see an emergency, call us on 13 13 51.