Skip to content

Electric shocks & tingles

Electric shocks & tingles

Call us immediately on 13 13 51 and we’ll send our crew out as soon as possible to investigate. Do not touch the appliance or location of the shock again until we know your property is safe.

It is important that once an electric shock / tingle has been experienced and reported, do not touch or ‘re-test’ the location of the incident again.

Where shocks are received from any metal work such as taps, switchboards or appliances, remain clear of all other metallic equipment at the property until we attend and ensure safety.

It’s better to be safe and wait for us to attend and investigate the cause of... Read more

An electric shock is obvious – you’ll feel a zap or possibly painful force run through you. This is hard to ignore and you generally know that you’ve had an electric shock. You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity – the minor discharge you get when you’ve walked on wool carpet and then touch something metal. If you’re not sure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and report it to us on 13 13 51.

A tingle is a low-level electric shock. It may feel more like a warm, fuzzy feeling that runs through you – kind of like pins and... Read more

Electric shocks and tingles come from places in the property or installation that have electrical wiring or metal components.

If there is faulty wiring in the property or appliances, this can cause electric shocks and tingles.

They most commonly occur in electrical appliances, power points and switches, taps and shower heads.

If the cause is found to be a network issue, our crews will carry out repairs and reconnect the installation. We will ensure that you are reconnected as soon as possible.

If it is found that the cause of the electric shock is not due to the network connection, it is likely that the issue is with the wiring in your property and may need to inspected/rectified by a qualified electrician. The responsibility to source and pay for the electrician is with the property owner. If you are renting, this responsibility sits with your landlord and they should be notified immediately so that appropriate actions can be taken to remedy the issue.

To ensure the safety of property occupiers and neighbouring customers, our crews may be required to disconnect your property, or part thereof, from the electricity network. Where internal electrical faults are identified, isolation is required until they can be inspected/rectified by a qualified electrician. These wiring faults can pose a risk for not only the occupants but also neighbouring residents.

We know it can be inconvenient to be without power until the issue is resolved, but it’s essential that you and your family are safe before any reconnection takes place.

If the responsibility is yours or your landlord’s, once your electrician has fixed the wiring issue, they must submit a notice to Western Power to request that your property be reconnected to the main electricity network. Time taken to reconnect may vary depending on a number of factors, in some instances this may be for an extended period of time.  This is to ensure the safety of all people involved – you and our field crews alike.

WA Electrical Inspectors play an important role in investigating the cause of an electric shock. They investigate shocks on behalf of the safety regulator Building & Energy (formerly named EnergySafety).

When you report the electric shock or tingle to us, we also notify the WA Electrical Inspectors who complete an investigate report on the cause of the shock/tingle, and determine when the property or appliance is able to be energised again.

Following the incident, an electrical inspector may contact you or attend your property to ask some questions in relation to the electric shock. It is... Read more