How do I prepare for a planned power outage?
If you’re a life support equipment customer
- We will contact you by phone to confirm you have received a notification about the planned power outage. If you don’t want to receive a follow up phone call, please let us know by our contact form or call us on 13 10 87 to opt out of this service.
- If you require your life support equipment during the outage, please make sure you have enough back up supply or are able to make alternate arrangements. If you have any concerns or require assistance, please call us on 13 10 87.
Handy tips for how to prepare for a power outage
- Cordless phones, including NBN phones won’t operate without mains power, so we recommend having an alternative phone available.
- Power fluctuations may occur when power is restored, so it’s helpful to unplug sensitive appliances such as computers and TVs to reduce the risk of damage.
- Unplug electric heaters or air conditioners so they are off when power is restored.
- Adjust your fridge and freezer to the coldest setting.
- If you have solar panels, check your system is back on after the outage. Not all solar inverters will switch back on automatically after a power outage.
- If you have automatic garage doors or security gates, make sure you know how to operate them manually, or leave your car parked outside.
- Leave a light on inside your house, so you know when power is restored.
- Alarm systems, lifts and escalators may not operate during the power outage or may need to be reprogrammed once power is restored.
- If you don't have a backup battery, you may like to consult with your service provider or investigate the use of a generator.
- You may need to reset reticulation timers after the outage.
If you're a business customer
- You may want to align your maintenance schedule with this planned outage.
- Consider investing in a backup power system if round-the-clock electricity is essential
- Consider any sensitive and electronic appliances that may need to be switched off prior to the outage.
- Test your backup battery systems, emergency lighting, phone, security and fire protection systems.
- It’s a good idea to back up your computer systems and data.
- If you require further help planning for the outage, please contact us on 13 10 87 and quote the eNAR reference number on planned outage notification.