Skip to content

Inspector’s Orders

An electrical inspector will issue an Inspector’s Order when they find a defect in an electrical installation.

Why we issue Orders

During an inspection, if we find the electrical installation doesn’t comply with Australian Standards, or network operator requirements, we’ll send the property owner or the person in charge of the installation an Inspector’s Order. This is a legal document issued under section 18 of the Energy Coordination Act 1994. It provides details of the work that must be carried out to make the installation compliant.

Complying with an Order

If we find the electrical contractor is responsible for the defect, it’s their responsibility to fix the defect to ensure the installation is compliant. If we believe the defect wasn’t caused by the contractor, then it becomes the property owner’s (or person in charge of the installation) responsibility to arrange for an electrical contractor to complete the required works.

Once all the defects are fixed, the Order must be signed by an electrical contractor and returned to WAEI. This is to ensure the work was completed by an authorised electrical contractor and is now compliant.

Failing to comply with an Order

As an Inspector's Order is a legal document, penalties can apply if you ignore it. Under section 20 of the Energy Coordination Act, failing to comply with an Order carries a maximum penalty of $50,000 for an individual and $250,000 for a body corporate.

Request for an extension

If you need more time to complete the work on the Inspector’s Order, you can request an extension from the issuing inspector. Their contact details can be found on the Order. Please note, extensions are granted at the discretion of the inspector.

Tip: If you need an extension, please provide the inspector with proposed timeframes of when the work is expected to be completed.

Appealing an Order

If you feel the Order is incorrect, you can appeal the Order under section 19 of the Energy Coordinator Act 1994.

The process for appealing an Order is to first contact the issuing inspector. If an agreement can’t be reached, we escalate the matter to the inspector’s team leader. This is then reviewed by the team leader, and if required a Notice of Appeal form can be submitted via the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.