During the power outage
If you experience an unplanned power outage and there is the potential for it to extend for a long period of time – usually during emergency situations or if network assets have been damaged by things like falling trees – here’s some tips on how to manage the extended outage:
- Have an emergency kit ready containing a waterproof torch, first-aid kit, non-perishable food, water, required medication and a radio (battery-powered) with spare batteries.
- Unplug electrical appliances, especially those that have heating elements (e.g. kettle, oven).
- Switch off air conditioners so they are off when power is restored.
- Minimise opening and closing your fridge or freezer.
- Keep useful phone numbers on hand, such as the SES and your electricity provider.
- Unplug ‘surge-sensitive’ equipment such as computers and TVs to avoid potential damage.
- Keep across the news and emergency updates (on your mobile phone or radio).
See our How to prepare for an extended power outage guide for more information.
Visit the HealthyWA website for more tips on reducing the risk of food-related illness during power outages.