Working near powerlines and other electricity infrastructure can be extremely dangerous. Western Power recommends the following safety guidelines:
- Always assume powerlines are live. If you see a fallen powerline do not go near it - call 13 13 51 immediately.
- Do not interfere with powerlines in any way. Contact with powerlines can result in electrocution and power interruptions.
- Do not touch anything that is touching powerlines, for example tree branches. If you touch any part of a tree that is touching a line, you risk serious injury or death from electric shock.
- Locate and keep clear of ground-based infrastructure such as transformers, kiosks and green domes.
- Use a safety observer to monitor and warn against unsafe approach to live equipment or other unsafe conditions. The observer must be competent and have the authority to stop the work if necessary.
To view PDF files you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.