Meter box safety
Your meter box houses a number of electrical components including the meter, main switch, fuses and circuit breakers, which control the flow of electricity into your home. It is important to know where your meter box is in case of emergency.
For your safety:
- Ask a licensed electrician to inspect your meter box if it shows any signs of burn marks, worn wires or a strange smell.
- Switch the power off at the main switch if you are doing any household maintenance or renovations.
- Label all switches, circuit breakers and fuses in the meter box for easy identification.
- Keep trees and shrubs away from your meter box.
- Install circuit breakers or a safety switch. Safety switches are mandatory in all new homes. They can save lives and prevent injury from electric shock.
- Check your safety switch every six months or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check circuit breakers every two years or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Take special care when replacing fuses and make sure that the main switch is in the off position before starting.
- If a fuse blows repeatedly have a licensed electrician check it.