System Restart Services (SRS)
Chapter 3 of the Wholesale Electricity Market rules requires System Management to:
- make operational plans and preparations, and use reasonable endeavours to restart the SWIS in the event of system shutdown.
- determine and procure system restart ancillary services to a standard that is sufficient to meet System Managements operational plans.
To achieve these objectives System Management has carried out a review of the present arrangements for SRS and has identified the need for:
- a standard for SRS and the application of the standard to the SWIS.
- the provision of information by Market Participants to assist in the development of the operational plans.
- additions and enhancements to the present SRS arrangements including the assessment and testing of proposed SRS facilities.
Current Procurement Process
System Management will shortly be seeking a System Restart Service commencing 1 July 2013. The preference is to procure a service in the Collie/Bunbury area. The following document provides further details of the technical requirements.
Earlier Procurement Process
A procurement process for System Restart Services for the South Metropolitan Sub-network commenced in June 2008. The Expressions of Interest for this procurement closed on Friday 1 August 2008. Invitations to Tender for these Services were issued to selected Recipients in January 2009 and Tenders closed on 20 March 2009. The Tender Offers received have been assessed and a service provider has been selected to provide this service.
A procurement process for System Restart Services for the South Country Sub-network commenced in August 2008. The Expressions of Interest for this procurement closed on Friday 17 October 2008. A number of options for providing this service are being explored.
A procurement process for System Restart Services for the North Metro Sub-network commenced in late March 2009. The Expressions of Interest for this procurement closed on Friday 8 May 2009. Negotiations are continuing with a proposed service provider.
The Provision of Information for the Operational Plans
Please refer to the Power System Operation Procedure - System Restart Overview (PDF 67kb) on the IMO Website.
Clause 3.7 of the Market Rules requires Market Generators to prepare Local Black Start Procedures for their Scheduled and Non-scheduled generators and where requested to do so submit them to System Management. Information from the Local Black Start Procedures will be used by System Management in the network restoration operational plans.
Market Generators should refer to the System Restart Services: Guidelines for Preparing Local Black Start Procedures (PDF 133kb) when preparing these plans.
To view PDF files you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.