Guidelines and manuals
The following information is provided for those seeking guidance and assistance in planning and achieving a new development or connection to our distribution network.
Note: these documents are subject to change and it is recommended that you check the currency of any documentation on a regular basis.
- Underground distribution schemes (UDS) manual
- Guideline for requesting design information package (DIP)
- Placement of poles in road reserves
- Underground cable installation (UCI) manual
- Western Australian electrical requirements (WAER)
- Western Australian distribution connections manual (WADCM)
- Distribution design catalogue (DDC)
- Distribution substation manual
Signing up for this service will enable us to email you whenever a manual is updated. Subscribe today.
UDS manual - Edition 9 (PDF 6.3Mb - Large file)
Last updated: August 2011
This manual contains the information required by developers and their electrical consultants to allow them to undertake the electrical reticulation of new subdivisions.
Submit feedback on the UDS manual
We encourage you to use the UDS feedback form to submit feedback on any aspect of the updated manual.
Guideline for requesting DIP (PDF 68kb)
Last updated: October 2005
A developer’s consultant or designer will need to contact us to register responsibility for the design of an underground distribution scheme for a subdivision and request a DIP.
UCI manual part II - technical requirements revision A (PDF 535kb)
This formalises requirements for the safe and efficient installation of underground cables that are to be connected to our public distribution system.
- Summary of major issues raised by industry to date on the draft revision of the UCI manual (PDF 31kb)
The first 12 sections of the WAER were published by Energy Safety provide an authoritative and mandatory technical reference for the safe and efficient connection of customer’s installations to electricity networks. We need to meet the legislated WAER and relevant Australian Standards through our policies, standards and workmanship.
The purpose of WADC manual (PDF 6.4mb - large file) is to provide a comprehensive single point of reference for industry and community when seeking an electrical connection of a customer’s installation to the distribution network of:
- Horizon Power’s North West interconnected system (NWIS)
- Horizon Power’s regional non-interconnected systems (RNIS)
- Western Power’s South West interconnected system (SWIS)
This manual supersedes the following our previously published documents including:
- Transitional (interim edition) connections manual (issued August 2008)
- Substation standards DSB 95/5 (issued April 2009) and DSB 95/6 (issued May 2009)
- The metering requirements (issued September 2006)
- 415 Volt switchboard - current transformers, meter panels and wiring (issued June 2004)
- Policy and technical requirements for AMR systems (DMS 1401689 v13)
- Service protection devices (issued June 2003)
Submit feedback on the WADC
Western Power and Horizon Power welcome feedback on any aspect of the Western Australian Distribution Connections Manual and its application.
To view PDF files you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.