Frequently asked questions

Q: What should I do if I lose supply?
A: Firstly, check your meter box to see if a circuit breaker or safety switch has tripped or if a fuse has blown. If this is the case, you can reset the switches or replace the fuse wire. If the meter box is okay, look outside to see if any neighbours or streetlights are also affected. If so, please call us on 13 13 51 to report the interruption.  If we are already aware of the fault, you will hear an estimated restoration time via a recorded voice announcement. If available, you may also hear information regarding the nature of the emergency that caused the power interruption. If you have power, but your lights are only glowing dimly, turn off all appliances at the power point then call us on 13 13 51.  

Q: What should I do if my vehicle hits a power pole ?
Phone emergency services on 000 and Western Power on 13 13 51 immediately. If possible remain in your vehicle until the power is switched off. If you need to evacuate your vehicle because of fire or if nobody is aware of your situation, the following steps should be taken:

  • Don't touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time as this may create a path for the electricity to flow to earth through your body, resulting in electrocution.
  • Jump clear of the vehicle.
  • Calmly move at least six metres away from the vehicle using short shuffle steps.
  • Do not return to the vehicle until after the authorities have declared the area safe.

Q: How close can I get to a fallen power line before it is dangerous ?
A: Always assume fallen powerlines are live - do not approach them. Electricity from powerlines can jump or 'arc' through the air and travel to earth through your body, resulting in electrocution, so it is critical that you keep a distance of at least six metres between you and the powerline until  the proper authorities have declared the area safe.

Q: Who is responsible for repairing my faulty streetlight and how do I report it?
A: Western Power shares the responsibility for streetlight maintenance with local governments and Main Roads. If you see a faulty streetlight (off during the night or on all day), you can report it to us by calling 1800 622 008 or completing the online form on the 'Report a problem' section of our website.

Q: Who do I contact to change my electricity account details if I am moving house?
Please contact your electricity retailer to arrange the necessary changes to your electricity account when you move house. Your electricity retailer is the company from which you buy your electricity - their contact details will be on your last electricity bill.

Q: Will Western Power require access to my property?
A: We will need to access your property at times to read the electricity meter, inspect new electrical work, carry out maintenance on our electrical equipment and prune vegetation away from powerlines. When we do, we or our representatives will wear or carry official Western Power identification, and show that identification to you on request. It is important that you provide us with safe, convenient and unhindered access, so if something at your premises represents a hazard to our staff, such as an aggressive dog, please call us on 13 10 87 to let us know.

Q: What is a planned power interruption and why do they occur?
A: Sometimes it is necessary for us to interrupt power so we can safely carry out maintenance work or upgrade the network.  We do this only when it is absolutely necessary and try to time interruptions to cause as little disruption as possible. We will notify you of the interruption at least three business days in advance, either in person, by telephone or in writing. If you do not receive this, you may be eligible for a $50 payment as compensation. To find out if you are eligible, please call us on 13 10 87 or visit the claims section of our website.

Q: Can I use my telephone during a power interruption?
A: Cordless phones do not operate without mains power. You may want to have a corded landline phone or mobile on hand so you can call us on 13 13 51 to report the outage and keep informed of any updates.

Q: Can Western Power guarantee me a constant supply of electricity if I have special medical needs?
If you rely on a continuous supply of electricity to run a life support, dialysis or heart/lung machine, it is important that you register as a life support sensitive customer. You can do this through your doctor, with your electricity retailer, who will pass that information on to us. Once we receive notification from your retailer, we will do our best to provide you with a continuous supply of electricity. However, in some emergency situations, it may not always be possible to provide you with faster restoration. If we need to interrupt your power supply to carry out work in your area, we will notify you in writing at least three business days in advance.

Q: Who is responsible for pruning trees near powerlines?
Home occupiers, including people renting, are responsible for making sure trees on a property are kept clear of powerlines. However, we strongly recommend you hire a professional to trim these trees. If we have to trim a tree because it is too close to powerlines, the occupier will be charged for the service. Local councils are usually responsible for trimming trees on street verges. If you see a tree on the street verge growing too close to powerlines, you should inform your local council or Western Power immediately on 13 10 87.

Q: What can I do if my Extended Outage Payment Scheme claim is rejected?
A: If you experienced a power outage of 12 consecutive hours or more and believe you are eligible for this payment, you can call us on 13 10 87 and request that your claim be reviewed.

Q: How do I make a claim for damaged property when I believe Western Power is responsible?
A: You can call us on 13 10 87 to request a Customer damage report claim form. Alternately, you can download this form and relevant information about the claims process from our website in the 'Your power supply' section.

Q: What can I do if my Customer Damage claim is rejected?
A: You can call us on 13 10 87 to request a review of your claim. If you claim is then declined on review, you may wish to pursue compensation through your insurance company.

Q: What can I do if I am unhappy with the response I have received from Western Power?
A: You can call our Customer Service Centre on 13 10 87 to request a review of your complaint by a senior employee, or contact the Energy Ombudsman on:

Phone: 08 9220 7588
Freecall:   1800 754 004
Free fax: 1800 611 279



Customer Charter

Customer Charter Summary