Extended outage payment scheme
Customers affected by power interruptions lasting 12 continuous hours or more may be eligible for an $80 payment under the State Government's power outage payment scheme.
This payment is available to electricity account holders who:
- are on the South West Interconnected System (SWIS)
- use less than 50MWh of electricity a year (around $8,000 per year). This includes nearly all houses and most small businesses.
If you live outside the SWIS you will need to contact Horizon Power on 1800 267 926 to make a claim.
Clause 19 of the Electricity Industry (Network Quality and Reliability of Supply) Code 2005 states that you may be eligible for a payment if:
- you experience a power interruption lasting 12 continuous hours or more
- at least 12 hours passed between when we were notified of the interruption and power was restored
- you have made the claim within 60 days of the interruption date
- the interruption was not caused by, or due to, you or equipment under your control
- the interruption was not the result of an emergency action by police, fire or emergency services
- you did not request the interruption
- you have not previously been paid under the scheme for the same interruption at the same address
Claims must be received within 60 days of power being restored.
How to claim
- Complete the online form, or
- Download and print the claim form (PDF 220kb) (requires extra time for processing) and send it to:
- Customer Service and Complaints
Locked Bag 2504, Perth, WA, 6001
Claims assessment process
- we will verify the information provided in the claim form
- successful claims will be paid within 30 days of us receiving a claim form - a cheque will be issued in the name of the electricity account holder and sent to the nominated address
- we will notify you in writing within 30 days if your claim is unsuccessful
- if your claim is denied, you can request a review by contacting us on 13 10 87
- a network reliability officer will then investigate the claim further based on any supporting information you may have
Note: The extended outage payment scheme is separate to, and does not negate any compensation for damage claim, where customers are compensated for damage to property when we are ‘at fault’. Similarly, payment under this scheme does not influence the acceptance or rejection of any other claims.