Learning about energy efficiency
Australians are one of the highest users of electricity per capita globally. We use electricity in our homes in so many ways, for example cooking, heating and our entertainment appliances like televisions and computers.
The education program communicates how using less energy can save money on your power bill and reduce your impact on the environment. Following the energy savings tips can reduce household energy consumption and save money.
Through the Western Power education program students will learn the following tips.
Energy saving tips at home
- Reduce your electricity use between 4pm and 8pm.
- Switch lights off when they are not being used.
- Switch off appliances such as the television and computer at the wall.
- Shut the curtains during the day.
- Set the air conditioner to 24 degrees.
- Change all lights to energy efficient light globes.
- Buy five star rated appliances.
- Add insulation to your home to make it cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
- Reduce pool pump use – install a timer and reduce use in winter.
- Replace hot water systems with energy efficient solar hot water systems.